Crunchy Bran French Toast
* eight slices whole-grain bread
* four teaspoons low-sugar orange marmalade
* two significant eggs plus two egg whites
* Zest and juice of one orange
* one teaspoon vanilla extract
* one cup bran flakes cereal
* one to two tablespoons vegetable oil
* one to a couple of tablespoons unsalted butter
* a couple of tablespoons confectioners’ sugar (optional)
Spread four bread slices with one tablespoon cream cheese each; spread the other four slices with one teaspoon marmalade each. Combine to make four sandwiches.
Whisk the full eggs, egg whites, orange zest and juice, and vanilla within a shallow bowl. Place the bran flakes inside a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or your hands. Pour the crumbs onto a plate. Dip each sides of just about every sandwich inside egg mixture, then inside crumbs, gently pressing the crumbs onto the bread.
Heat one tablespoon each oil and butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches in batches and cook until the outsides are golden along with the insides are melted, three to four minutes per side. (Add a lot more oil and butter, if needed.)
Slice the French toast sandwiches into triangles. Let cool prior to serving to small ones, as the cream cheese can get very hot. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, along with the kids won’t even ask for syrup!